LAMP Consortium

Blocking sensor data

For IRB-related reasons, we need to limit the passive data collected by MindLamp for an upcoming study. Specifically, we want to collect GPS data and participant survey responses, but collect no other passive data.

In testing the current app release, we have been able to mostly limit passive data collection by denying access to other sensors on the phone side. However, on some devices we are still getting a small amount of data from other sensors (e.g., accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope). I suspect this might be because the OS does not require explicit permission for access to those data types.

Is there a way that we can prevent the server from logging data from unwanted sensors in the database? We have updated sensor_spec to include only lamp.gps (based on the information in this thread: We are not seeing sleep data · Issue #119 · BIDMCDigitalPsychiatry/LAMP-platform · GitHub), but we still seem to be getting data from the other sensors.

Hi @eric,

Unless you can block it through the individual device operating system I don’t believe it is possible to block specific sensors.

Best,

Rebecca

Hi @rbilden,

Thanks for this information.

Do you know if the capability to control the upload of individual streams of sensor data is one of the features that will be included in the long-anticipated app update?

In the meantime, if it’s not possible to block specific sensors, is it instead possible to block data for all sensors? (i.e., keep sensor_event empty)

Best,
Eric

Hi @eric,

Thank you for your patience with my response! Currently, I don’t know of a way to ensure no sensor data is gathered if you are still getting data after toggling sensors off. @rhays will be able to provide more information when it is available, but we believe it has to do with the Aware framework that our app uses to collect passive data.

Best,

Rebecca