Sliders - empty answers

Until recently, users could submit questionnaires although empty.

To avoid this, last week you the warning message “Some responses are missing. Please complete all questions before submitting” was introduced at the end of the questionnaire.

Now, specific questions of the questionnaires are checked (so that users do not have to go back but are immediately prompted with a message). Unfortunately it does not work with sliders questionnaires when they include “0” as an option. For instance, users are not able to score 0 at the PHQ-9 / GAD-7.

Hello,

We tested it and it seems to work on our end / we do not observe that error. Can you send us your survey spec and we can take a look and see if there is something else going on.

Thanks,
John

Hi @ego,

In case it helps, if you are using the LAMP-core package in python, the easiest way to get a list of survey specfications is to run this command:
[x for x in LAMP.Activity.all_by_study(STUDY_ID)['data'] if x['spec']=='lamp.survey']

You’ll need to run LAMP.connect() with your access key, secret key, and api address first. If you need to find a study id, you can run [x for x in LAMP.Study.all_by_researcher(RESEARCHER_ID)['data']] first, which will list all studies under a specific researcher.

Let me know if I can give any other answers,
Luke

Dear @jtorous and @LukeS , many thanks for your replies.

The survey specs should be:

Anxiety Questionnaire : ‘id’: ‘s0fkn5yzkf5ywx1j367a’, ‘spec’: ‘lamp.survey’, ‘type’ : ‘slider’
Health Questionnaire: ‘id’: ‘768eage6z3dm9ahw8v2x’, ‘spec’: ‘lamp.survey’, ‘type’: ‘slider’

We have checked with a third iPhone and I can confirm that we cannot succesfully submit any item of these questionnaires with a value equal to 0.

And here is the full spec for the first:

{‘id’: ‘s0fkn5yzkf5ywx1j367a’,
‘spec’: ‘lamp.survey’,
‘name’: ‘Anxiety Questionnaire’,
‘settings’: [{‘text’: ‘Feeling nervous, anxious or on edge?’,
‘type’: ‘slider’,
‘options’: [‘0’, ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’]},
{‘text’: ‘Not being able to stop or control worrying?’,
{‘text’: ‘Worrying too much about different things?’,
{‘text’: ‘Trouble relaxing?’,
{‘text’: ‘Being so restless that it is hard to sit still?’,
{‘text’: ‘Becoming easily annoyed or irritable?’,
{‘text’: ‘Feeling afraid as if something awful might happen?’,
‘options’: [‘0’, ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’]}],
‘schedule’: []}

Hi @ego,

Thank you very much for bringing this issue to our attention! We reproduced your issue and have passed this along to our development team who should be able to fix this shortly.

I’ll update this post here when the issue is fixed - in the meantime please let us know if there is any other assistance we can give.

Best,
Luke

Hi @ego,

Our developers have released a patch that should fix this issue - I have tested on an Android device and was able to successfully advance after submitting 0 to a slider question.

Please let us know if you continue to have any issues relating to this. Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention.

Best,
Luke

Hi @LukeS,

I have checked and it seems to be working correctly.
Many thanks for quick patch!

Best,
Edoardo

Hi @LukeS and @ego I am noticing a related (and new) issue with the survey questionnaire function. We have a final question (type: text) that enables participants to expand on a question if they answered “Yes” to the prior Y/N question. Often this field will be blank and in the past users were able to successfully Submit the questionnaire if this was blank. As of the last update, I am seeing an error message reading “Some responses are missing. Please complete all questions before submitting” and am unable to submit questionnaire responses unless I enter something in this field. Can you please advise? An ideal solution would be to have a branched logic where this question only appears if users select “yes” to the prior question, but they should at minimum be able to submit a blank response. Thank you!

Hi @khackett , same here.
Given that we cannot add branching questions, before we asked participants to skip questions not relevant to them. We have now changed all the questionnaires so that all the “If yes, …” / “If no, …” questions now include a “Not applicable” option. Not ideal but just sharing what I have done!

That is very helpful advice - thanks for sharing @ego !

Hi @spatel - a few months ago an update was made so that a red error message appears when survey responses are left blank. It now appears that this functionality is no longer active – so a survey can be submitted with 1 or all responses left blank. Can you please confirm if this is expected, and whether the error message functionality can be reincorporated?

You should now be able to mark certain (or all) questions in a survey as required (the default is optional). You should be able to also edit existing surveys to enable this retroactively!